The flow of coming to Japan by using “Certificate of Eligibility” (COE)

This system enables any foreign national who presents or submits a certificate of eligibility to obtain a visa and permission for landing quickly.


1 Application for COE from the person concerned in Japan


2 Examination by Immigration Office


3 Getting COE


4 Sending it to the said person in abroad


5 The person goes to Japanese Embassy to apply for issuing visa.


6 Getting visa


7 Application for Landing



Please be careful about this point!

The term of validity of COE is 3 months.

You have to apply for landing within 3 months from the date of issue.

Even if you come to Japan within the validity of visa, you can’t “land” on Japan when the validity of your COE is already expired.


COE says “This certificate should be submitted to an Immigration Inspector with an entry visa for the landing permission at the port of entry, and shall cease to be valid if the application for landing permission is not filed within 3 months from the date of issue.”




Date of issue 08 NOV 16

Date of expiry 08 FEB 17



Date of issue 29 SEP 16

Date of expiry 29 DEC 16


In this case, you need to come here by 29 DEC 2016.



Thank you.
Solicitor & Immigration Lawyer Hitoshi Oishi