Can I Invite my parent to Japan? 2


The status of residence for a parent who wants to live with their child or children so that they can get support from them is not stipulated in Immigration Control Law.


This means that, in principle, they don’t allow your parent to stay with you in Japan.


However, if there are “special circumstances” in which your parent really needs to live with you in Japan, Immigration Office might give you a “green light”. So, please ask to Regional Immigration Bureaus or immigration lawyers near your place.


What is “special circumstances”?

Although they don’t unveil screening criteria, the following conditions are considered to be needed.


1.Parent is old age. Roughly, they must be over 70.

However, it does not necessarily mean that you cannot apply for it when they are not over 70 years old. If you carefully explain the situation about their disease or disorder, there is likely to be approved, even if they are less than 70 years old.


2.There aren’t any relatives or siblings who can take care of them in your home country.


3.You have to be the adequate person who can surely take care of them in Japan.


4.You have to be able to bear the cost of living of your parent in Japan.


Thank you.

Solicitor Hitoshi Oishi (司法書士・行政書士 大石人士)